Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving


Thanksgiving was good this year. It was quiet but very nice. We didn't have anyone over for dinner so it was just the three of us. When I was a kid, we used to go to my aunt's for Thanksgiving. I loved it. It was loud, chaotic, friendly, and fun. It seemed like there would be about 20 people gathered (family and friends). The adults would gather in the kitchen and sit around the table when the kids ran around the house. Everyone would be talking over each other to be heard. The house would ring with laughter and conversation. And then the food!! Ahh, there would be 5 different types of pies and numerous side dishes, and of course - the turkey. *sigh*

Since it was just the three of us, I tried out a few new recipes. Mmmm... I made homemade cranberries. I did this once before but it turned out just like the canned stuff. This time I searched for a recipe that was a bit more involved and it was sooo worth it! Cloves, orange, pineapple, orange zest, walnuts = YUM!! I will never go back to the canned cranberries again. The mashed potatoes had a bit of smoked cheddar cheese added to them and we had baked brie as an appetizer. Mmmm. Very delicious. The turkey turned out perfect, not too dry. There were other dishes but nothing worth mentioning. Dessert was very typical - pumpkin pie. (What can I say, I enjoy cooking!).

The day was concluded by taking Anna to see Fantasy of Trees in downtown Knoxville. She enjoyed children's area and the trees were dazzling. What a lovely way to end the day.

Anna and Dad at Fantasy of Trees Downtown Knoxville


1 comment:

  1. Sounds great. We used to go to Chicago for my mom's big Greek family Thanksgiving but now it is just us and my folks. I am glad you had a good time at the F of Trees (unlike our disaster). Rachel went down there on Thanksgiving and said it was fun, too. It was INSANE when we were there. That carousel had a line of at least 100 people when I walked by.

    Nice photos by the way!

    ReplyDelete